Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Visitation

Today we have family visitation for my Grandmother from 12-2. Last night all of the kids and grandkids were there and it hit me how much we had missed out on over the years by not getting together before Grandma died. We live in such a fast paced world and family dynamics are so strange as it is that we allow these things to get in our way and rob us of precious memories that we could be making. Seize the moment for you don't know when the moment will come again. I encourage everyone to forgive the hurts of the past with family members and remember that God chose thier DNA to create you and even if you think someone else would have made a better parent remember God has the perfect blue prints for your life and lean not on your own understanding. I saw my father broken leaning over my grandmother and filled with so much sorrow. I have to think that he has some regret that he wasn't able to stop drinking while she was alive, addiction is such a powerful thing, I know as I struggle with compulsive overeating in the same way that an alcoholic does with alcohol. I guess that what I am saying is turn it over to God, make him the focus of your life, I know it is very hard to do but after seeing my father so broken I don't want to be that person, I don't want to be laying over the ones I love when they have passed wishing I could have done something or been someone different. All of these things seem so good but are so hard to really practice but I vow to do my best to remember to put God first and go to him with my hurt and let him heal me in ways that food cannot.

No comments: