Sunday, March 23, 2008

To Old for the Easter Bunny

Ok clearly my boys (12 & 9) are to old to believe in a ficticious over sized bunny that hops around and hides easter eggs in peoples back yards but can't they just pretend???? Yesterday I got everything ready to dye Easter Eggs and my 9 year old was a great sport and came to the table to color Easter Eggs with me. My twelve year old was about to until on of my husbands friends showed up with his 12 year old daughter and then he wasn't about to be seen doing something as juvinelle as coloring eggs. He finally came around a little bit and at least put some of the shrink wrap things on a few eggs that would shrink when you blew dried them. Now I was trying to be cool and had bought all sports decorations thinking that would make it a little more acceptable to be coloring easter eggs with your mom on a Saturday night.

After they went to sleep I went in to my closet and stuffed 24 colored eggs with candy and got thier baskets ready. This was no easy feat as I am very front heavy and it is not comfortable at 7 months pregnant to sit cross legged in the floor for any amount of time. I sat my alarm this morning and went out in the cold and hid 24 plastic eggs all over the back yard. One of my neighbors 5th grade daughters saw me and I would love to know what she was thinking.... I then set out thier Easter Baskets that were filled with enough candy to cause a small cavity and Itunes gift cards, wal mart gift cards and lego sets for my youngest. I was so excited for the kids to come down stairs. When they finally stumbled out of bed they came down individually and both of them just glanced at thier baskets and then went back to thier bedrooms. I was sooooo disappointed. They finally came down and gave the appropriate responses to thier baskets and I spent the rest of the morning helping build lego sets. I told them that the Easter bunny had been in our back yard and it was probably 3 hours later before my oldest son who has my sweet tooth decided he wanted to go look for some eggs. My youngest had no desire to participate so instead of being a family event as in years past my oldest just went and found all 23 eggs. I say 23 because our lovely dog had found one of the eggs and tried to eat it and all of the candy in it.

I know I am silly for trying to keep up such traditions when they are to old but really I have just as much fun as they do or in this case more fun. It really hit me today how old they are and how little time I have left to enjoy these holidays with them before they spread thier wings and grow. I guess it is a good thing we have another one joining our family to help keep me entertained.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and remembered to thank-God for what this holiday truly stands for which is so much more than a bunny and some silly eggs.

God Bless

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Coy kept telling me not to hide the eggs in the same place this year. Th older they get the more they like to soil our fun :0P
Like you said--- @ least you have a new ittle one on the way to share more fun times with :0)

Kelly said...

I meant spoil not soil :o)

WWGrlLuvs2Run said...

ah poor Lisa! What is wrong with my nephews!? they dont believe in the eater bunny!? I guess they dont believe in santa claus either! LOL! tell them they are going to have to pretend to believe when their brother arives!! This is why we have dogs! They get excited about EVERYTHING! LOL! Love ya!