Thursday, March 8, 2007

People don't change people

Here is my thought for the day. People don't change people prayer changes people. I have been reading The Power of a Praying Wife-this book is truly life changing. The funny thing is we all know to pray but sometimes we just don't pray. For so long I thought I could change my husband to make him the person I wanted him to be. (There was nothing wrong with him, I just wanted to fine tune him, customize him if you will). I wanted more affection, what woman doesn't? In his mind he knew he loved me and that should be enough for me as well. I did know he loved me and I knew we had a good relationship but I just felt like it wasn't the relationship that God had in mind for us. I didn't want to settle for good, I wanted great. For 15 plus years I have tried to manipulate and mold this man into someone that I thought he should be. After reading this book and doing some bible studies on journaling and prayer I started praying and I stopped expecting things. Let me tell you, I felt a stirring inside me and I know I have been changing. I have a long way to go but since I have stopped focusing all my energy on changing him and focused it on God and prayer I have become a better person. I asked my husband after church last night if he had noticed a difference in our relationship since January he said yes that I was happier and I was't so mean. Boy did that hit me where it hurt but I knew it was the truth. Before when he didn't respond to my attempts to change him I would get angry and bitter and jealous of those around me that seemed to have the relationship I wanted. Now that I appreciate my husband and am not nagging all the time I have started focusing that energy into being nicer to him, to really listening to him, really wanting to be with him. The funny thing is...he has changed. He is so much more affectionate and kind to me as well. I feel like we have rediscovered the flirtation and the desire we had for each other 15 years ago when we started courting each other. We have fallen in love with each other all over again. So...if there is someone in your life that you are trying to change..STOP it is wasted energy. Instead turn your focus to God and prayer and I bet you will see that you will change and as you do the person will respond differently to you as well.

God Bless You.

No comments: